Saturday, January 8, 2011

Horses, horses, horses

Ahhh, the season begins. I am quickly reminded how busy little 'ole Wellington gets from the end of December to April. For a couple of months it is much like being back in the 904 area code (Jacksonville). A bit smaller, but still international and traffic that makes you want to gag every time you venture out. Still, it's worth it and quite fortunate that things are located fairly close to each other around here.

On another note, I was thinking today of all of the traits that make up a good rider, confidence, patience, poise, strength, and passion. Of course these are only a few, but some very important ones. We all slip up from time to time, but in general we all strive to be fair and accepting when it comes to our horses. Riding young horses is so new to me. Although a wonderful experience, it is incredibly intimidating, frustrating, and sometimes dangerous. I am lucky to have such an experienced coach! Seriously though, sometimes they can really get the better of you and me too! I really have to keep reminding myself it will be worth it in a week, a month, a year, wear my helmet, and hunker down until the twister passes. My little Abby has changed so much in year it amazes me,he is still often difficult and always testing me. But sometimes, because he has changed so much, I find myself always wanting more. Not good, but normal.

I think everybody gets that idea, when things are going good to keep pushing. It's the good rider who knows when to stop, before the breaking point is reached. I have had to relearn this over the past few months. We are both learning and changing daily. Is that what makes young horses so rewarding in the end? I will let you know when I get there.... ;-)

Off the topic, but interesting nonetheless,On Wednesday at player club, there will be a benefit for the leukemia and lymphoma association. It's a $35 fee at the door and loads of fun. Come out, have some drinks, and enjoy the festivities. It's for a great cause! Contact me if you have any questions.

Ok everybody, my words to live for today are simple. "Make yourself proud."

Have a great weekend, and congrats to those showing this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment